General LDS Information
Basic LDS Beliefs
LDS Videos
Critics' Questions
Submitted Questions
Scriptures/LDS Literature
LDS Temples
Music and Arts
LDS Online Stores
Priesthood, Humor, Miscel.
Site Map

Suggest a Site
Now accepting banner ads!

Bookmark and Share

CLYDE - When can a man who has not gone on a mission or gotten marrried get a temple recommend? At what ages can they serve misions? what about a member who is married to a non-member?

JOEL - According to the Church Handbook:

"A man must hold the Melchizedek Priesthood to receive his temple endowment.
Most single members will be interviewed for a recommend for their own endowment when they are called as missionaries or when they are to be married in a temple. Worthy single members who have not received their endowment in connection with a mission or marriage may become eligible to receive the endowment when the bishop and the stake president determine that they are sufficiently mature to understand and keep the sacred covenants made in a temple. Such eligibility is determined individually for each person, not by using routine criteria such as reaching a certain age or leaving home for college or employment, or simply desiring to observe the temple marriages of siblings or friends."

So the main criteria is that they must be worthy, which is the same for anyone else getting a recommend, and they need to be spiritually and emotionally mature enough to understand the covenants that they will make. Single men can serve full-time missions only between 18 and 25 yrs, so if they don't serve a mission or get married they might not get a temple recommend until after that age range. But this is up to the Bishop and Stake President and according to certain circumstances. Single women can serve full-time proselyting missions anytime between 19 to 39 years. Sisters older than 40 can serve in non-proselyting missions for 12 to 18 months.

A worthy member who is married to an unendowed spouse, whether the spouse is a member or nonmember, may receive his or her own endowment when (1) the bishop receives written consent from the spouse and (2) the bishop and stake president are satisfied that the responsibility assumed with the endowment will not impair marital harmony.

Return to top
Return to Questions